This workshop presents the theory and experiential approach to integrating
body-focused techniques to enhance schema therapy practice in a time-limited manner. These strategies are particularly useful for clients who present with complex needs and have histories of
severe childhood neglect or trauma, and who have difficulties engaging with traditional schema therapy techniques.
This highly interactive and experiential workshop is designed for psychologists, psychotherapists, psychiatrists and other mental health professionals. Attendees should have an understanding of schema therapy model who wish to expand their repertoire for working with trauma and the body by incorporating simple but powerful somatically-focused interventions.
Topics covered at the workshop
- Understanding the role of the body in trauma – the neurobiology underpinning complex trauma and fragmentation of self
- Barriers to working with the body both for the client and the therapist and how to overcome them
- Tracking the body to identify schemas and mode shifts
- Understanding the principles of working safely - helping clients stay within their Window of Tolerance while processing traumatic material
- Healing traumatic reactions, including freeze and submit states, with body-oriented affect regulation resources and working with intense affect, including anger, grief, terror
- Working on the therapist’s own body awareness to enhance self-regulation and to facilitate higher levels of attunement with and co-regulation of the clients in the therapeutic space
- Utilizing body techniques in the work with dissociation
- Work with anger in the body
- Enhancing imagery and chair techniques with somatic focus
- Somatic interventions for boundary setting and strengthening of a sense of self
- Facilitating development of an embodied healthy adult mode both for clients and therapists
Briedis, J. & Startup, H. (2020). Somatic perspective in Schema Therapy: The role of the body in the awareness and transformation of modes and schemas. In Heath, G. & Startup, H. (Eds). Creative methods in schema therapy: Advances and innovations in schema therapy. Abington: Routledge.
The Trainer is:
Janis Briedis is a Consultant Psychologist, advanced level Schema Therapist, Supervisor and Trainer with many years of clinical experience in the NHS and private practice. He teaches regularly schema therapy, CBT and trauma-focused approaches in a variety of NHS and academic settings. Janis has worked in primary care, drug and alcohol, LGBT services, community mental health teams and specialist psychology services and has a wide range of clinical experience working particularly with complex trauma, dissociation, personality disorders and relationship difficulties. Janis is a co-director at Schema Therapy School UK.
Über den Workshop:
Der Workshop wird in Englisch durchgeführt!
(Teilnehmer sollten die englische Präsentation verstehen können; Fragen, Anmerkungen, Übungen können auch auf Deutsch/Französisch/Spanisch gestellt bzw. gemacht werden)
Dates: 27 & 28 September 2024
Zeiten: jeweils von 9.00h - 17.00h
Kosten/Frais: 399,- EUR + TVA
Anmeldungen für die Ausbildung bitte per email an: